Tuesday, March 23, 2010

{ Roasted Cauliflower with Quattro Formaggio Sauce }


On Sunday, Spring was certainly in the air along with flip flops on my feet. My husband mentioned to me early in the morning that we should barbeque. Of course that got my creative thought process going. A nice juicy steak instantly popped into my brain but what cut would I buy? Filet Mignon? Rib Eye? Flank? New York? I bet you are wondering what I chose. Browsing through the aisles at Safeway, the New York “sang” to me. I seasoned them with a bit of Montreal steak seasoning and let them come to room temperature before grilling. The smell was amazing and officially rung in spring for me. I can hardly wait to enjoy the spring and summer nights outside with a glass of wine and the sounds of the fountain in the background.

Next I was onto side dishes for our beautiful steaks. I was craving something baked, creamy, crunchy yet somewhat good for me. I had a whole head of cauliflower along with a bag of shredded Quattro Formaggio from Trader Joe’s. If you don’t have a Trader Joe’s, you can create your own blend or just use a combination of cheeses you enjoy. Here is my version of Cauliflower Gratin.

















Roasted Cauliflower with Quattro Formaggio Sauce

1 Head of Cauliflower, florets
2 T. Butter
2 T. Flour
2 C. Milk
Salt and Pepper
¼ t. Nutmeg
2 C. Quattro Formaggio (parmesan, asiago, fontina, provolone)

Preheat oven to 375.

Break apart the cauliflower into florets and trim away most of the stem portion. Break into desired sizes. Blanch for 5 minutes and drain.

To prepare the cheese sauce, use a large sauce pan and melt butter over medium heat. Watch carefully, so it doesn’t burn. Once melted, add the flour and stir with a whisk and cook until the flour taste is gone. Essentially you are making a roux. Add the milk and whisk over medium heat until the sauce begins to thicken and coats the back of a spoon. About 5 to 7 minutes. Add the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. Add the cheese and whisk until incorporated and smooth. Take off the heat. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Add the cauliflower florets and coat with the sauce. Spoon into an oven proof ceramic or glass baking dish to cook. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the top (recipe below). Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes.

Topping

1 T. Butter, melted
½ C. Panko bread crumbs
½ C. Quattro Formaggio

Add into all of the ingredients into a bowl and combine.





1 comment:

  1. Cauliflower is so much better when baked in a gratin fashion. thank you for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

It simply makes me smile when I receive a new comment and I look forward to hearing from you!

 
designed by suckmylolly.com